Video call

Chaguanas businessman killed in video call with children


Businessman Darryl Dindial, owner of Dindial’s autosplies along the Caparo/Brasso Montrose Chaguanas road was shot and killed outside his place of business in a robbery on Thursday –

Chaguanas businessman Darryl Dindial was talking on his mobile phone to his two young children on Thursday evening when gunmen shot him dead.

The children, aged 13 and 9, did not see the gunmen via the video call. But they heard their father’s bloodcurdling screams.

Relatives told Newsday the phone fell to the ground and continued to record until passers-by arrived. They said the children were devastated.

“The children took the news very badly. Darryl promised to buy them doubles before he went home. He had already brought them plums,” said a relative at the family home.

Dindial, 52, also known as David, owned Dindial Automotive Supplies at Caparo Valley Brasso Road in Montrose, Chaguanas. He had just closed the business and was about to get into his Toyota Hilux van when the gunmen accosted him and shot him.

Police believe the men wanted to steal cash and other items from the business. But the owner had already locked the doors. The killers escaped with an undisclosed amount of cash Dindial had with him.

At the family home on Friday, relatives described him as well known for his generosity.

“If those same fallas had come in and asked for something, Darryl would have given it to them. He always gave things to others. If someone had a problem and asked for money, he would give. He loved helping others. He donated items to many churches, temples and mosques,” the relative said.

“He had no enemies and no one ever threatened him. He owned the business for over 20 years.”

Dindial’s Automotive Supplies on Caparo/Brasso Road, Montrose, Chaguanas, remained closed on Friday, after owner Darryl Dindial was fatally shot during a robbery Thursday night. – Photo by Lincoln Holder

Nearby residents heard gunshots, heard Dindial scream, and ran to help him. They put him in the bed of his van and someone drove him to Chaguanas Health Center, where doctors later pronounced him dead.

Dindial’s sister-in-law, Reena Weekes, thanked them on behalf of the family for their quick response.

“Everyone came out and showed their support. It was nice of them to do that.”

Weekes added that a few weeks ago she dreamed that Dindial had been killed. He was informed of the dream, but paid no attention to it.

A local businessman said he heard four gunshots and initially assumed the noise was fireworks. He was about to walk out when someone told him it was gunshots and he had to be careful.

People then heard Dindial’s cries.

“I was scared. People started helping him. Blood was all over his clothes. He was wearing a red shirt and we didn’t realize he had been shot in the chest,” said the ‘male.

Another business owner called for more police patrols, saying: “Criminals are roaming the streets.”

Shortly after the shooting, residents blocked the road in front of the business with flaming debris to highlight their frustration at the killing. Chaguanas police then cleared the area.

The killers are still at large.

Police from the Central Division and Region III Homicide Bureau are investigating.