Amazon Alexa-enabled video displays, an Echo Show, can make video phone calls directly to other Echo Show devices. Call a single friend or talk to your family or tribe with group video calls.
Knowing how to set up a video call on an Amazon Echo Show before making a call is essential. Once you follow the steps, group video calls are easy. We’ll show you how.
What is an Amazon Echo Show?
The Echo Show comes in different sizes, but all of the different versions have a camera and microphone for video calls. If you’re in the market, check out our introduction to help you decide which Amazon Echo Show to buy.
To get started with group video calls, make sure your Echo Show has been set up and you’ve downloaded and connected to the Alexa app to iOS Where android. Before you can call anyone, you need to set up your contacts. This will be done on the Alexa smartphone app and on the Echo Show.
Configure calls, messaging and advanced features
Before making or accepting video or voice calls, you must enable communications.
Here’s how to enable calls, messaging, and more in the Alexa app.
- Faucet Devices at the bottom of the screen.
- Faucet Echo and Alexa at the top of the screen.
- Choose your Echo Show from the list.
- Tap the Settings gear icon in the top right corner.
- Scroll to General section and choose Communications.
- Drag the Communication switch to activate it.
- Go down to Drop-in and turn it on to enable Drop-in.
Enable advanced features in the Alexa app:
- Faucet After at the bottom of the screen.
- Faucet Settings.
- In the Alexa Preferences section, touch Communications.
- Below Additional parameters, faucet Improved features.
- Drag the Enabled pass right.
It’s important to note that other members of your video call group must also enable communications and enhanced features in their Alexa app.
If you’ve already added your contacts to the Alexa app and the people you want in the group are in your contacts, check that you have Drop-In enabled for those you want in your group. You can skip ahead to the section on creating a caller group.
To import all contacts from your phone or device
In the Alexa app, go to Settings > Communication > Manage Contacts > Import Contacts.
Slide the switch to enable Import contacts. This will automatically import and upload all your contacts on your smartphone to the Amazon service.
To import single contacts
If the person(s) you want to call aren’t in your Amazon contact list or you don’t want to download your entire list, add them individually. This can be done in the Alexa app or on the Amazon Echo Show.
In the Alexa app:
- Press the Communicate icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap Contacts (contact icon) in the upper right corner.
- Select the three dots (menu) in the upper right corner and choose Add contact. Or, you can press Add new under your name in the contact list. Faucet Add contact.
- Fill in the contact’s name, a nickname if you want, and a relationship if you want (this will let you say “Call my mom” or “Call my girlfriend”).
- Fill in their cell phone number.
- Faucet To safeguard.
- Find the contact’s name in your contact list and tap it.
- In the Permissions section, make sure that Allow drop-in is authorized.
The contact will now be available for video calls, voice calls, or messaging.
On the Echo show:
- Swipe down from the top to reveal settings icons.
- Press the Communicate icon.
- Faucet View Contacts.
- Tap your name in the Which address ? filter.
- Faucet Add new
- Fill out the form and press To safeguard.
If you’re adding the contact on the Echo Show, you’ll still need to check that Drop-in is enabled for their contact card in your smartphone’s Alexa app.
Then choose the people you want in your group and create a group.
How to Create a Group for Echo Show Video Calls
To create a group, open the Alexa app.
Follow steps 1, 2 and 3 above to access your contacts screen and view the Add new. This time choose Add a group.
Then tap to put a tick in the box next to the names of the people you want to be on the group call. Faucet Continue.
Give the group a name and press Create a group.
How to Make a Group Video Call on an Echo Show
The easiest way to start a group video call on an Echo Show is to ask, “Alexa, call [group name].”
During the call, icons appear on the Echo Show screen. It is important to note that what is shown on the screen is not your status. That is, if it says “Video on”, you need to press the icon to activate the video. This does not mean that your video is already activated. Similarly, if there is a microphone icon, you are muted on the call and you must tap the microphone to unmute.
Enhanced features only available for individual calls
Similar to other chat apps, other enhanced features for video calls include fun stickers and effects can be added to a call, including effects like an aquarium, Google eyes, flowers and butterflies and Moreover.
Note that these enhanced features, along with real-time live call captioning, are only available for individual calls and cannot be used with group calls at this time.
Tips for Better Video Calls on an Echo Show
Now that you know how to make video calls, make sure it’s a great experience. Do not stand in front of a window or a lamp, otherwise you will be backlit and in shadow. Instead, try to shine the light on your face, but express direct sunlight which can overexpose you.
Also, make sure all participants have a reliable internet connection that isn’t too slow so the video doesn’t lag.
Quickly call out to your tribe using an echo show
Creating a group may take a few steps, but once you do, calling your entire family is as easy as saying “Alexa, call my family group.” Everyone will appear on screen for each other, allowing you to catch up on news, see distant family, or coordinate plans for your next family event.
Then, when you’re done with the call, just say “Alexa, hang up.”
Enjoy the simplicity of talking with your friends and family.